Thursday 14 November 2013

Fashion and textiles pathway-sketchbook workshop and idea development


Today looked at both the use of a sketchbook and idea development. It began with a talk from Rebecca and she went through various elements about the purpose of a sketchbook and how to present one successfully. Below are a selection of tips and notes I made:


-they're not about showing off your work to the teacher but a space to develop ideas

-you should stick in less than you draw
-there is no clear path to a sketchbook and the more obvious it is, the less likely it is a distinction level
-it should consist of mostly primary research eg. Drawings, photos, stand work
-the less writing, the better (make notes to yourself not your tutor)
-always back up your work
-label book along the edge
-put project brief at the beginning
-use spray adhesive and blutac instead of prit stick
We were also told about idea development which I also made some notes about:
-you should isolate images/details that interest you
-start on a double page and then work across the page
-be experimental
-exhaust each image
-initial ideas should be rapid and rough
-you should aim to make 200 ideas in half an hour
-if you are not drawing, then you should record each process continuously
-work until the end of the project and display each step eg. Contact sheets
-aim to have 3 methods or media on a page and make pages touchable and interactive
-include colour and fabric swatches alongside drawings
-work digitally in combination with hand drawn work
-vary presentation according to stages

Questions to ask yourself when you look at each page:
-does the page interest you?
-does it explain your thoughts?
-does the page push an idea?
-is there more than one method or media?
-does it flow?
-does it inspire?


After the talk, we then moved onto an idea development workshop using a 3d item of importance. I chose a locket of my Nana's which features a picture of my grandad and dad. I then photocopied it to create a range of images which I then collaged. We then created 5 drawings based on the object in a variety of media. After this, we then used a sewing machine to draw outlines of our object onto fabric. The next stage was to create small samples based our drawings and so I decided to take the outside shape of the locket and the motif of the chain. We then had to complete 6 double pages of initial design ideas based on the samples. I think I got on well with the task in hand as I tried to be as experimental and open as possible. I am quite pleased with what I achieved as I think it is clear to see the development from an inspiration to design ideas for menswear garments. To improve, I would have been more experimental with my intial design ideas as I find it quite hard to be free and not put a long time into each drawing.



















 My Designs:











No comments:

Post a Comment